June 28th 1998
Watch The Expo’98 Movie
nva organisation were commissioned by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office to create and produce the National Day for Britain at Expo 98 in Lisbon, Portugal on 28th June 1998. The company benefited enormously from the experience on all levels of imaginative, administrative and technical achievement.
Operating on a 5km site employing seven thousand people, where English is not the first language was only the first of many complexities which were to stretch the company to its full potential. The team successfully produced four major site-specific productions with only one night get-in and no location rehearsal for any element.
The National Day for Britain offered significantly different obstacles, negotiating directly with the Foreign Office, operating on a 5km site employing seven thousand people, where English is not the first language. nva mounted four major site-specific productions with only one night get-in and no location rehearsal for any element. The company benefited enormously from the experience on all levels of imaginative, administrative and technical achievement.
The company brought out over one hundred and thirty British artist to work with hundreds of Portuguese performers creating a cultural statement, celebrating the ancient roots of both cultures.
The main theme being to express the joy, passion and vibrance of long summer days - wherever you are from.
- Speed of Light Ruhr Ruhr, Germany
- The Invisible College Kilmahew / St Peters
- Speed of Light Salford Salford Quays, Manchester
- Speed of Light Yokohama Yokohama, Japan
- Speed Of Light Edinburgh Arthurs Seat, Edinburgh
- Glasgow Harvest 2012 Glasgow
- Glasgow Harvest 2011 Various, Glasgow
- Venice Biennale XIIth International Architecture Exhibition Venice, Italy
- Glasgow Harvest 2010 Hidden Gardens, Glasgow
- Witte Fietsenplan (White Bike Plan) Glasgow International Festival of Visual Art 2010
- SAGE (Sow And Grow Everywhere) Glasgow
- HALF LIFE Permanent Landworks Mid-Argyll
- Spirit - Chinese Spring Lantern Festival Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
- HALF LIFE Kilmartin Glen, Argyll
- Glow Newcastle, Gateshead’s Festival of Light
- Radiance Glasgow Festival of Light 05
- The Storr: Unfolding Landscape The Old Man of Storr, Trotternish, Skye
- The Hidden Gardens Tramway Arts Centre, East Pollokshields
- Fall From Light Burns And A’That Festival
- Glasgow Lighting Initiatives Long term lighting projects, Glasgow
- The Gimmick The Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh International Festival
- The Path Glen Lyon, Perthshire
- Grand Central Grand Central Hotel, Central Station, Glasgow
- Expo ’98 – National Day for Britain Lisbon, Portugal
- The Secret Sign Finnich Glen, Drymen
- Virtual World Orchestra Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow
- Pain Touring Theatre Production
- Stormy Waters Meadowside Granary, Glasgow
- The Silent Twins The Old Partick Police Station, Glasgow
- Soundworks The Arches, Glasgow
- Sabotage The Tramway, Glasgow
- The Soul Machine Dowanhill Church, Glasgow
- The Second Coming St Rollox Locomotive Works, Glasgow
- Beltane Fire Festival Carlton Hill, Edinburgh